Tuesday, September 30, 2008

i'm not the only one

i just can't stop myself from venting about palin. her candidacy has been the most frustrating thing for me in politics... ever. i feel conflicted (i want a woman to succeed, but not this woman) and disappointed (her inadequacy is not only making women look bad, it is making the discussion more sexist and more paternalistic) all the time. and some republicans actually agree with me (or i should probably say that i agree with them). kathleen parker says,
Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I’ve been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I’ve also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted. (from the National Review Online)
i can hardly wait for the debate on thursday although, no matter the outcome, i doubt it will make me feel better.

oh, and for anyone who missed it, here is the second episode of tina fey as sarah palin. try to figure out which lines are lifted verbatim from the real interview with katie couric (i believe there are about 30 seconds, altogether).

No comments: