Tuesday, August 19, 2008



In Memoriam
Ernie BunnellFebruary 25, 1941 to August 3, 2008


Ernie passed away peacefully after a two year battle with cancer. He was a generous, kind and great man with terrific wit and humor. He was a wonderful father and grandfather. We're happy that Bryn got to know him for the time that she did, and we're grateful for the time we had with him. He will be much more than missed.

In lieu of flowers, gifts may be sent to the Ernie Bunnell Endowment Fund at Rochester High School (e-mail us for details). Ernie's career at Rochester spanned three decades, and he was a dearly beloved teacher there.

We would love to hear your memories of Ernie. Please feel free to share in comments.

3 comments:

Maryissewfast said...

I struggle to put into words what Uncle Ernie (our affectionate name for Mr. Bunnell at Granite Falls High School) meant to me. I guess I will just rely on what I was taught and just write what I feel. Mr. Bunnell was my English teacher in 1973. He never subscribed to the "one size fits all" method of teaching. His lessons were tailored to meet the need of the student and he helped me immensely in finding my voice in this world. Mr. Bunnell was a stellar educator and a wonderful human being. Remembering Uncle Ernie fondly, Mary M. (Sain) Deeter

The Brights said...

I'm at a loss of words right now. Apparently I haven't been keeping up on the blogging world. I feel completely awful because I had no idea that Ernie had passed away. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Ernie was such a kind, easy-going, intelligent soul. I always felt at ease hanging out at the Bunnell household. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to tell you guys this earlier.

Tom Murray said...

I am 51 years old, thinking of the teacher who was most influential in my life. Mr Bunnell, my English teacher from Granite Falls Middle School came immediately to mind. I had him for one year way back in 1973. I was quiet and mostly went unnoticed. Mr Bunnell wrote encouraging notes on my homework assignments, and ignited my creativity.

Since I was a young man, I had always wanted to thank him, and now in an attempt to thank him, I found this blog declaring his passing. You were a great teacher Mr Bunnell.

Patrick Murray