Wednesday, March 19, 2008

props for hillary

i've been a hillary supporter from the beginning - i think she has real policy solutions whereas the other democratic candidates typically just "talk the talk." but i do find her to be a less than inspirational speaker, even quite dull in prepared speeches. i also find myself worrying that she will fall to mccain the way kerry fell to bush - unable to translate intellect into confidence. so maybe we do need an inspirational candidate, even if i am less certain of his efficacy as a policymaker.

but then i realized, i have never felt inspired by speech given by a woman, any woman. there are certainly inspirational women out there, and it's not possible that they all have or are inferior speech writers. so what's going on? i think this piece from the washington post sums it up pretty well. we are not used to seeing women as inspirational leaders... sure, women often do things that are inspirational, but they don't lead while doing it. generations of feminism have gotten us to where we have no trouble with women leading the way, but not to the point where we see women leading us. it's enough to send me right back to the feminism of my younger days, just like many other twenty- and thirty-something women.

disclaimer: these comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the rest of the bunchen household.

5 comments:

The Brights said...

I like your disclaimer....I was starting to wonder if Adam was ill or something (until I read that Joyce wrote it). I was thinking "wow, he has a lot different political views than I remember". :) I was actually going to applaud him for his thoughts...instead will do so for you Joyce.

Jessica

adam said...

I agree with everything Joyce said, but I'm still in Barak's boat.

Truth be told, I'm pretty happy with our selection of candidates, even if McCain doesn't jive with my views, at least he's willing to consider an argument. And, we get the added bonus of a non-moron as leader of the free world.

Yay.

The Brights said...

ah, very good then! I'm in your boat too, Adam (sorry Joyce).

Anonymous said...

Dig the Wig

http://www.digthewig08.com/

Bunyang said...

Have you considered making this into an op-ed piece? Maybe a little late for Ohio, but the ideas are great.

I voted for the Big O, but have to agree Hiliary is actually going to be better at the immediate management of the government and concrete details of policy implementation.

Perhaps we could combine them?

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/hillbama.htm

Aaron